Friday, April 30, 2010

Relay For Life

The Relay For Life theme this year was "Celebrating More Birthdays." I will admit, it was hard for me to get fired up about it and felt the theme was a little hard to swallow for obvious reasons. I wasn't even sure if I was going to go. But Amy is amazingly strong and continues to be passionate about cancer research. She even went to a few planning meetings and sat there and sang happy birthday to cancer survivors that were present. My mom's youth group at church does a team so Team Rachel was mainly represented by them. Amy skipped the part of relay where the survivors and their caregivers walk a lap at the beginning. It was always emotional when Rachel was alive so even more so with her gone. I wish I would have skipped that part too. I cried like a baby when I saw a "Miss October" shirt because I made Rach a onesie when she was born with "Miss October" written across the front in rhinestones. But I'm a baby and a crier and I felt on the verge of tears the whole time. I left early needless to say. Now miss Callie had a great time and became fast friends with the youth group. She loved racing on the track "mart, set, go!"
Callie's friend Taylor stopped by.
And Liberty from daycare. She went on a few wagon rides and they were hilarious racing around the track and chasing each other.
Cade had fun too but he crashed early.
At one point in the night, all the lights go down, the crowd goes silent, and luminarias are lit for those that have passed from cancer. Callie helped me through that though because while the whole place was silent, she was yelling "I go bye bye in minute" and loudly singing her ABCs. She is like Shane, she has to fill the silence. I hope to be a better participant next year in Relay For Life because cancer research is important to me too!

No comments: