Monday, February 23, 2009

Socialized Medicine

I thought it was perfect that Amy had this stamped across her chest. Working in a birthing center and having had babies, I know how different her experience could have been. Everything felt so out of her control. She did not get to pick her doctor, was assigned to a nurse midwife despite risk factors, never saw a perinatologist, didn't get to pick her hospital, had to be at least 4 centimeters and in active labor to be admitted, no exceptions, contracted irregularly for a week and was incredibly miserable, no plans for an induction of any kind until at least 41 weeks, barely got an epidural. She is happy now and glad it is all over and I guess it all ends in the same result but I can't help but feel turned off by this system. I just know how unhappy Amy was and it made me unhappy and there was definitely a feeling of helplessness. And I really had hoped she would go into labor in New Braunfels and have to deliver at my hospital :). I hope this is not what the world is coming too...

No comments: