Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Swine Flu

Cade's school is now officially closed until May 11th. I have tried to remain optimistic about this whole thing but when school and all extracurricular activities are canceled (all church activities including mass, prom, baseball games, cade's therapy, anything where large numbers of people gather) and we are asked to stay home unless absolutely necessary, it gets a little concerning. And I still have to walk into and work at the hospital! Yesterday when I was leaving I walked by the ER full of people with masks and this kid with a mask stopped me in the hall and said "are you a nurse? Me and my brother have swine flu." I told him I hoped he didn't and stopped breathing the same air he was. OK this kid seemed fine and had probably just heard about it and told his parents he had all the symptoms but still! This morning Callie was coughing in her bed and I ran in to check her temperature. My sister thinks I 'm crazy but it seems serious to me! There has been one confirmed death (a poor little baby) in the US and of course it's in Texas and of course in Houston where Shane is working this week. We are too close to Mexico! Callie's daycare is still open but I'm obviously not sending her because I don't have to. I just hope city officials are right and we are heading this off now by being cautious and reacting early and it will all blow over in a couple of weeks. Hopefully. Pray that we are kept safe in this war zone (being a little dramatic, I know)...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope this gets over soon!! I feel sorry for you...thank God you have good babysitters close by!! :) cc

. said...

Anna,
You're crazy!! You don't even know anyone with the flu.

The Petrie's said...

Anna,
Take comfort in knowing the little one who died in Houston had come from Mexico seeking good medical care because he was immunocomprised and getting worse before coming to Texas.