Tuesday, March 3, 2009

On Yesterday's Episode of General Hospital...

The drama continuesCade got another ambulance ride yesterday. I knew he wasn't feeling well and Callie had been sick all weekend. He wouldn't eat dinner (very unlike Cade) and I was cleaning up. He looked at me funny with his jaw clenched and his hands started to shake. I picked him up and his whole body was shaking. He had a seizure once before so I didn't panic (let it be on the record that his dad did!). We started driving him to the hospital but he got really cold and mottled and continued to seize with his eyes rolling back in his head so we called 911 to get an ambulance to meet us. His seizure lasted about 15 min. and he had some crazy vital signs in the ambulance. He felt instantly on fire when he stopped seizing and his temp was about 103. At the hospital he got antibiotics, breathing treatment, CT scan, chest x-ray, blood work, yada yada. Everything came back OK. They determined it was just a febrile seizure and it happened because his fever shot up so quickly. He did however have a positive blood culture (an infection in the blood) so he is continuing on antibiotics. I am going to follow up with his neurologist because 2 times is too many. He was pretty much back to his old self again in the ER and jumping on the bed. I guess he decided we hadn't seen much action lately and we needed a new story to tell.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I would have been with Shane on this one, scared out of my mind! Glad he is ok, love you Cade! Be careful :)

Cassie

Anonymous said...

that sounds so scary Anna! It is a good thing you are a nurse and can handle these things! Cade takes everything in stride don't he? What a brave little boy! so sweet! christa

Anonymous said...

Anna, You are one incredible young woman. Cade and Callie are so lucky to have you for a mother. I am so proud to know you. God did a great job on you and you deserve many blessings. Much love, Brenda