Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Before Jaw Surgery

This Friday at 11:30 Cade will be having jaw surgery (distraction osteogenesis). The doctor is planning to make two incisions in his neck and then cut apart his jaw on both side. Then a device will be placed inside that separates the two pieces. There will be a pin placed on the device that will stick out behind his ears on both sides of his face. He will look a little like Frankenstein. His hospital stay should be about 1-2 days depending on his ability to get off of the ventilator (we are not anticipating any problems.) He will have the pins out of his face for two weeks and Shane and I will turn them twice a day to push his jaw forward. After two weeks, the jaw should be where the doctor wants it and we will remove the pins. The device will remain in his mouth for two months while we wait for the new bone to harden. Then he will have surgery again to remove the device. The doctor said that we will be surprised about how little pain there is. It is very likely that a short time after his second surgery, he will get his trach out. But there are no promises. I wanted to include a before picture because he will look drastically different. Please be thinking and praying for Cade Friday morning!

3 comments:

Sandy Ulrich said...

We'll be thinking and praying for you guys. Cade is such a tough little guy I'm sure he'll bounce right back from this. I bet you're really excited about the possibility of getting the trach removed! Take care and good luck on the surgery.

Love,
Pat, Sandy & Aiden

Anonymous said...

Anna
I have had this in my calendar at work now for 2 weeks. See it everyday and think of you. I will be praying for great recovery and for as little pain as possible. He is such a tough little guy that I know he will pull through this A OK:)

Love and miss you all-
Cassie

Jessica Helleseth said...

Hey guys,
I just wanted to say Hi and that I will be thinking of you today. I hope everything goes well.
Love you lots, Hugs and Kisses
Jess